Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The other head. A few words about mohair and sewing machines... bad, naughty, evil... not really being fair to the mohair, it';s the sewing machine I dislike... or it dislikes me. As usual, the first bit I tried to weft came out fine. The machine likes to lure me into a false sense of success. Then it gets ugly, it jams, the thread snaps, and 45 minutes later I give up and do it by hand. Never fails.

I have to say that the face looks remarkably like an older version of my little girl. I held it up to her and noticed one thing with the eyes that would make a big difference in the likeness. I want to make a younger proportioned body on day, one that could work for a little boy or girl. My son asks me often, Where is the doll of me?" He would be soooo cute. i also want to make a little 5 year-ish faun doll, a young lady centaur, a dryad, an older young woman, a man... augh! No time! One day...

I will take a better photo outside tomorrow. When I have more to photo I will get a better camera to use. I use a snapshot Canon, and with poor light the photos are pretty crappy. But I can't wait to share! Please comment, friends! Am I gonna hafta have a contest to lure people into my blog?


5 comments:

  1. Nice wig!

    I feel your pain on wig making. Been hand knotting each strand of hair on my wig. I must be crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing I thought when I saw the new picture was your daughter's face age progressed. rad wig. sorry about the deceptive sewing machine. you should give it an ultimatum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to add almost no eyelashes to make the face look like Belle at hr current age, which looks odd on a doll face. The sewing machine tells me it has only one master- which is not me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly I adore this doll! I think I prefer this head to the blue-eyed ones. Really! She's so lovely. I also love your list of "someday dolls". A faun and a centaur are on my list as well! lol. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of them are really lovely-- I think this darker one looks very realistic (maybe a little too much for my taste). But wow, beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete